NOTHING ABOUT US WITHOUT US
The Saskatoon Anti-Poverty Coalition (SAPC) is a group of concerned persons and organizations who are dedicated to addressing the causes and effects of poverty.
SAPC meets the first Wednesday of every month from 1 pm to 3. The next meeting of the Saskatoon Anti-Poverty Coalition will be held on October 5th , 2011.
Location is the meeting room of St. Paul's Hospital Cafeteria. Everyone is welcome.
For more information about our group, call our office at 955-5095 or email antipoverty@sasktel.net.


Saturday 30 July 2011

Photovoice - Cont. Part IV

Suicide Prevention
Lynn*, 2006

I live alone and often suffer from depression and yet I am not allowed enough money to feed and care for my ‘antidepressant.’ If I commit suicide, who will take care of her?

Little Pickles and Punkin
Smith*, 2006

I tried for seven years to change the pet policy so I could have a cat. And they would not allow it. They felt if the mentally ill had cats, they would run around the neighbourhood and end up at the SPCA. You have all these stereotypes. I complained and I tried and tried. A few years later they phoned me up and said that I could have a guinea pig. I would have preferred to have a cat but that’s what I was allowed to have. They’re a lot of fun.

The Empty Shopping Cart
Butterfly Russell*, 2006

To me the empty shopping cart is symbolic. A shopping cart should be full of groceries and have a little kid bouncing up and down in the seat. But for many, every time they look at a grocery cart they feel guilty because they don’t have enough money to fill it up with groceries. And the other thing I think when I look at a grocery cart is, ‘Thank God I’m not the one who’s got all my worldly possessions in it.’ Or I could be wandering up and down back alleys picking up pop bottles. So the shopping cart has a lot of meanings.

http://www.pwhce.ca/photovoice/saskatoon_intro.html

No comments:

Post a Comment