NOTHING ABOUT US WITHOUT US
The Saskatoon Anti-Poverty Coalition (SAPC) is a group of concerned persons and organizations who are dedicated to addressing the causes and effects of poverty.
SAPC meets the first Wednesday of every month from 1 pm to 3. The next meeting of the Saskatoon Anti-Poverty Coalition will be held on October 5th , 2011.
Location is the meeting room of St. Paul's Hospital Cafeteria. Everyone is welcome.
For more information about our group, call our office at 955-5095 or email antipoverty@sasktel.net.


Tuesday 9 August 2011

Photovoice Cont.

Comfortable Shoes/Scared For My Life
Lynn*, 2006

If I want to go out at night, I walk. Most people do not want their mother/ daughter/sister/wife walking in the streets after dark, but it is okay for women in poverty.

Getting to the Bus Stop
Butterfly Russell*, 2006

This is outside my apartment block and I stuck my cane in there because I wanted that to be part of the picture. Unfortunately I can’t afford to run a car and so I have to walk up to the bus stop all year round. And in weather conditions like that, the bus stop may as well be two miles away because I feel that I can’t get there. I am scared of falling. I just wish that I had a car.

Povertymobile
Dawn McGraw*, 2006

Why this is considered a luxury is beyond me—my car, a.k.a. ‘The Povertymobile.’ It is really hard to afford a car. I have been lucky and have had no major problems with it, other than a brake cylinder. I have had to do the tires, but one at a time. I don’t have a proper spare and my front passenger tire is as bald as bald can be.

It slides all over in the winter. It’s not safe and very difficult to maintain, in addition to being a gas guzzler. Lots of times I go nowhere at all because I can’t afford the gas. Heck, I can’t even afford a car wash.

http://www.pwhce.ca/photovoice/saskatoon_intro.html

No comments:

Post a Comment